18 November 2011

Western Digital My Passport Essential SE : Good USB 3.0 option



I have loads of data on my computer and since i keep tweaking my MacBook. I have a risk of losing my data. So, I got one 1 TB external hard drive - Western Digital My Passport Essential SE from Malaysia. I have a wonderful experience with the drive since more than a year. Let's discuss about it in the following post.

The Western Digital My Passport Essential SE is a USB 3.0 portable storage, it has a 2.5in hard drive inside. This is the second generation of this series and is available in several capacities.

The drive comes bundled with a 48 cm long USB 3.0 cable and is reverse compatible with USB 2.0 ports. My tests show the performance is 2 to 3 times faster when using USB 3.0 instead of USB 2.0 ports. While transferring a 4.5GB HD video file, I achieved a speed of 85MB/s when using USB 3.0 instead of 35MB/s achieved by a USB 2.0 port. A synthetic benchmarking tool too gave a result of 90MB/s.

Western Digital bundles a software package, Smart Ware, which can manage data backups automatically from your PC to the external hard drive. You can also set filters on file types like documents, messages, videos, music, images. The feature is interesting and easy to use, but unfortunately not quite complete or customized to suit everybody's requirements. 

Bottom Line : Good performance, slightly expensive


1 comments:

The 3.0 version is a welcome arrival. Very handy when storing or moving large blocks of files. The arrival of the 3.0 product has rendered the 2.0 version as obsolete.
tyco connectors

Post a Comment

Drop in Your Comments, Problems, Suggestions, Praise, Complains or just anything.

We are always excited to hear from you.

Don't post rude or nasty comments. Ethnic slurs, personal insults and abuses are rather uncool. Criticize, but know where to draw the line.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...